2.9.14

Ear Buns ‒ Korvapuustit



http://www.veganmofo.com/
Random facts about Finnish coffee culture #2:Though coffee table is the main event of any regular family visit and everyone knows it, you shouldn't seem too eager about it. When the hostess first asks guests to come to the table, no one seems to hear. After the second invitation they already start to look at each other, wondering who's the bold one to go first. If no one else is willing to appear as if they came only for the food, the oldest lady (or some other guest of honour) might get offered a chair because it's more comfortable than standing
The second day of MoFo and I still haven't really checked the other blogs. Think tomorrow I'll write you (and myself) a small list of interisting themes I'm especially looking forward to read.

Korvapuusti is easily one of the biggest classics to have with coffee and I must admit there is a reason to it. Its closest cousin is cinnamon roll which I've heard being called both American and Danish invention. If anyone has any further knowledge, do let me know! Korvapuusti's name literally means ear bun because of the cute "ears" it has. The word has also come to mean a slap on a person's ear, probably because someone thought it sounded humorous. There are different versions with different fillings, but this one's the classic. It makes about 16 big ones or 32 small ones.

- 1 portion of pulla dough
- 100 g margarine
- 1 dl farine sugar (stickier and more aromatic than regular)
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
(almond flour, cardamom)

Prepare the dough as normally. When it's ready to be shaped, take half of it and let the other half rest. Roll it into a large rectangle with one long shape and the other somewhat shorter, perhaps 60x30 centimeters or so.

Melt the margarine and use half of it to butter the rectangle. Sprinkle with cinnamon and farine sugar (and if you wish, almond flour and cardamom too). Then roll the rectangle as if you were making a swiss roll and leave the seam under the roll. Cut it into pieces but make the cuts diagonally like this / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ so all the pieces have one long side and one pointy side so they're almost triangles. Flip the pointy side up. Press your finger or a spoon gently but firmly in the middle of the roll so the middle part goes to the table and it's ears flop out. (Here's a helpful diagram). Repeat with the other half of the dough.

Place the big-eared fellows on a baking sheet and cover with a towel. Let them rise for about half an hour. Butter with well sugared coffee and sprinkle with coarse sugar if you wish. Bake in a 225°C oven for 8-10 minutes. Enjoy hot with coffee.

Nutritional values / 1 pulla / 126 g:
energy 390 kcal
fat 13 g
protein 10 g
carbohydrates 58 g
fiber 2 g

9 comments:

  1. You win veganmofo! I love your theme! I am so looking forward to all the recipes you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Straight from the last year's winner! :D One thing I've actually wanted to ask you: did you manage to invite friends over to eat all those treats or did you just sacrifice yourself? I'm kind of afraid I'll get back all the baby fat I've managed to lose in a year...

      Delete
  2. These look so tasty. I love cinnamon rolls so I'm sure these are right up my street :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the picture! Anything similar to a cinnamon roll is a win for me. My family used to eat cinnamon rolls for breakfast on Sundays. Sooo good. I should make this for them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks lovely - quite like the coffee scroll that I grew up with in every bakery on every high street in australia - always found it strange they don't have coffee in them but I think they are meant to be eaten with coffee. I laughed at the coffee table custom of pretending not to want to go there - I wouldn't be good at that :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coffee tasting filling actually sounds like a smash! I might try that sometime. :)

      Delete
  6. This looks and sounds FANTASTIC! Happy Vegan MoFo to ya! LOVING your blog! Swing by my place if you have a moment :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone for comments! One more interesting addition: I just learned that those American-style cinnamon rolls are called teksaspulla, e.g. Texas pulla.

    ReplyDelete

Osta neljä tuotetta ja maksat vain kolmesta - Luomutallin kampanjatuotteet näet täältä


Teekauppa.fi - laadukasta teetä netistä
Ostoskorin loppusummasta vähennetään viisi euroa ja toimitus tapahtuu ilman postikuluja.
Syötä ostoskoriin kuponkikoodi:

syysteet

Tilauksen on oltava vähintään 35 eur, mistä jää maksettavaksi 30 eur.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...